- macaroni (elbow type)
- cheese - cheddar (grated)
- Parmesan (grated)
- cream (optional)
- 1 egg
- red pepper (diced) (optional)
- green pepper (diced) (optional)
- yellow pepper (diced) (optional)
- carrot (diced) (optional)
- mushroom (chopped) (optional)
- bread crumbs
- nut meg
- black pepper
- cayenne pepper
- Worcestershire sauce
1. Cook the macaroni in boiling water with salt. don't allow it get totally cooked because it will cook more in the oven so under cook it a bit. When it is ready take it out drain and set aside.
2. Put a pan on fire and melt butter on it, don't allow it burn. Stir in flour little by little or you may destroy the gravy. Use a whisker to stir it until it has a good consistency but be careful not to put too much.
3. Pour in milk and keep whisking, add a little cream. Add the mustard and taste to know if it is ok or if feel like adding more.
4. Whisk the 1 egg in a plate, take a little from the sauce and add gradually to the egg while whisking to avoid the egg cooking. When you are done, pour the egg mixture into the pan on fire and stir. Add the carrot, green pepper, red pepper, yellow pepper and mushroom.
5. Stir in the half of the cheese and stir. Add black pepper, nut meg, cayenne pepper, Worcestershire sauce. Taste and adjust seasoning. Add salt if need be.
6. Pour the macaroni into the sauce and stir.
7. Butter an oven proof dish. Pour the mixture into the oven proof dish, sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and add a bread crumbs on top.
8. Put in the oven and bake until the cheese has melted and the top is golden, it may take between 20 to 25 minutes.
9. And it is ready to be served. Hope you enjoy it.
|Macaroni and Cheese|
|Fresh from the oven|