Shepherd's Pie is an American dish with meat base and mashed potato topping. It is pretty straight forward and even if you mess it up i bet it would still taste delicious.
- minced meat
- potatoes boiled and mashed
- carrots chopped
- beef stock
- bay leaf
- tomatoes paste
- onions chopped
- frozen peas
- worcestershire sauce
- black pepper
- olive oil
- mushroom chopped (optional)
- red bell pepper chopped (optional)
- yellow bell pepper chopped (optional)
- green pepper chopped (optional)
- sweet corn
1. Peal the potatoes and put on heat to boil.
2. Melt butter and olive oil in a pan. Stir in the onion and the the meat and stir fry until meat is no longer pink. Add the vegetables, carrots, mushroom, green, yellow and red pepper. Add the corn and peas reserve some peas for serving. Add worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Stir in about 2 TBS of flour.
3. Pour in the beef stock and tomatoes paste. Bring to a boil, taste and adjust seasoning.
4. Mash the already cooked potatoes with butter, milk, salt and pepper.
5. Pour the meat sauce in an ovenproof dish, carefully spread the mashed potato on the top layer and use a fork to do any design you want on it. Put in the oven and bake for like 30 minutes or until it starts getting bubbling and brown
N.B. i did not use cheese but you can spread cheese on top if you like and also sprinkle with a handful of parsley.
|Shepherd's Pie served with Peas|
|The meat sauce|
|The mashed potatoes spread unto the meat sauce|
|Fresh out of the oven|
|Take as much as you want...Wink|