- minced chicken
- potato diced into tiny pieces
- carrot diced into tiny pieces
- onions diced into tiny pieces
- baking powder
- vegetable oil
- 1 egg
1. Heat oil in a pan. Add the onion and stir for like 2 minutes and stir in the chicken. Keep stirring until it is no longer pink. Add salt, thyme, curry and seasoning. Pour a cup of water and cover.
2. When it starts to boil. Boil in the potatoes and carrot. Stir and allow to cook. Mix about 2 TBS of flour in half a cup of water and set aside. When the potatoes are cooked pour in the flour mixture. It keeps the pie moist and makes it not get dry while it is being baked. Turn off heat and set aside.
3. Prepare the dough. Pour flour in a bowl, add baking powder and a pinch of salt (very little because the pie will get its taste from the chicken mixture if u add too mush salt, it will be almost uneatable). Mix the dry ingredient well with your hands.
4. Add margarine in little pieces and mix with the flour until it has a sandy texture. Add water, you don't need too much just to make the mixture stiff.
5. Put on a flat floured surface and knead the dough very well. Put back in the bowl and let rest for about 10 minutes.
6. Rub some margarine in your oven proof tray and set aside. Preheat your oven to 170oc. Break the egg, whisk and set aside.
7. Put the dough back on the flat surface and Knead again. Roll the dough out, don't allow it to be too thin or too thick.
8. Use a cutter to cut it, improvise with something in your kitchen if you don't have a cutter like a put cover, a plate whatever can give you your desired pie shape.
9. Take the part you have cut and scoop the chicken filling into it but don't put too much otherwise you would make a mess and cant seal it. Now bring the egg you set aside. Rub it inside all the edges of the dough (this will help seal it well and make sure it doesn't open while in the oven). Fold the dough and use a fork to press the two edges together. Rob the the egg on the body of the pie, this would make it become golden brown when it is done. Do the same for remaining dough until you are done.
10. Place on your already greased oven proof tray and put in the oven bake at 170oc for 35-40 minutes depending on the thickness of the pie but you can open the oven to check, when it starts browning it is done and ready to eat.
N.B. You can use this same method for meatpie the only difference is that you use minced beef instead of the chicken. You can also use normal chicken parts all you have to do is take out the bones and chop the chicken into tiny pieces. You can also mash the potatoes and carrots if you like and mix it with the meat.