- finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
- ginger paste
- garlic paste
- garam masala
- lime/ lemon juice
- onions finely chopped
- tomatoes chopped
- brown sugar
- almonds or cashew
- cumin seeds
- cumin powder
- ground cinnamon
- green cardamon
- black cardamon
- bay leaves
- turmeric powder
- vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- 4 long skewers
- green pepper
- fenugreek seed
- chili powder
- cinnamon stick
- tomato paste
1. First thing to do is make a marinade for the Chicken. In a large bowl, combine yogurt, cumin powder, cinnamon powder, turmeric powder, chili pepper, ginger, half of a lime/lemon juice, oil and salt. Stir in chicken, cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour. Take a little of the marinade and keep aside.
2. Bring out your chicken and thread onto the skewers (i didn't have skewers, used broom to improvise).
3. Carefully dice in a cube form the remaining fresh tomatoes (remove the plums), green pepper and onion (take your time and separate the scales) Rub the remaining marinade on them and put on top of the chicken 10 minutes before it is ready.
4. Preheat your oven or grill to 200c. Place the skewers on the grill racks or use a foll wrapped oiled oven proof tray if you are roasting in the oven. Keep turning and brushing with remaining marinade until chicken is browned on all sides and tender. This is called Chicken Tikka and you can eat that alone add lime or just eat with bread.
5. Lets make the Masala. Pour your fresh tomatoes (reserve 3 to dice) and almond or cashew whichever you are using, in a blender and grind until smooth.
6. Heat up butter or oil in a deep pan. Add cumin seeds, green cardamon, black cardamon, bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon stick and onion, cook slowly until soft. Add ginger, garlic, cumin powder, tumeric powder, chili powder, coriander powder, paprika and salt. Add a little water so they don't get burnt because that would make it taste bitter.
7. Add your blended tomatoes and almonds/cashews, tomatoes puree, brown sugar and little water.
8. Add the grilled/roasted Chicken TIkkas and stir. Add fenugreek seeds by using your palm to crush them as you add them on.
9. Finish your masala gravy by adding cream, grama masala powder, coriander leave and the remaining half of the lime/lemon juice. Cook for 10 more minutes and it is ready to be served on Basmati rice or Naan bread.
|Chicken Tikka Masala with Basmati Rice|
|Chicken Tikka Masala|
|The chicken in my broom skewer...lol|