- urad daal (black lentils)
- red kidney beans (rajma)
- tomatoes blended
- tomatoes puree
- cumin seeds
- fenugreek seeds
- chili pepper
- green chili chopped
- corriander powder
- dhania powder
- turmeric powder
- grama masala powder
- onions chopped
- corriande leave to garnish
1. Soak the Urad daal and Kidney beans over night. Change the water before going off to bed.
2. I heard it cooks faster if you have a pressure cooker but i didnt have so cooked with a normal pot took a long time but not compared to if i hadnt soaked it for a long time. Cook the dals with a lot of water, make sure it doesn't burn, add salt, ginger, garlic and 1 chopped green chili. Cook until really soft and overcooked.
3. When it is very soft drain out the water and set aside. Mash the dals with a potato masher and set aside.
4. Heat butter in a pan even better if you have ghee. Add cumin and fenugreek seeds and when it crackel, add the onions, ginger and garlic. Stir until the onion is soft and golden.
5. Add the blended tomatoes, tomatoes puree, chili pepper, turmeric powder, dhania powder, salt and coriander powder, stir for about 3 minutes and then pour in the water from the dal if you didn't have any water from it just add ordinary water.
6. Pour in the dal, add grama masala. Adjust taste.
7. To finish. Add butter, the quantity depends on how big you can go. Add cream. Stir for 5 minutes and its ready to be enjoyed. It can be served with Indian bread Naan or with rice.
Note. It shouldn't be too watery, it should have a thick creamy consistency.