- 5 egg yolks (beaten)
- 2oz (50g) caster sugar
- 1 pint (500ml) full cream milk
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ½ pint (250ml) heavy/double cream
- ½ cup of milk or dark chocolate (grated)
- ½ cup of milk or dark chocolate (melted)
- a pinch of salt
- vanilla extract
1. Mix together the egg yolks and caster sugar in a bowl, stirring well, beat until smooth.
2. Pour the milk into a saucepan and heat gently on medium heat until hot. DO NOT BOIL.Then stir the hot milk into the egg and sugar mix. Mix well.
3. Melt your chocolate bar in a microwave or put it in a pan and put on top of a bigger pan with boiling water on heat and stir until it has melted or melt it inside your custard mixture.
4. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and heat gently, stirring frequently. DO NOT BOIL. After several minutes it will start to thicken into custard. At this point remove the pan from the heat.
5. Add the cocoa powder using a sift and mix well ensuring any lumps of cocoa powder have dissolved. Add the vanilla, salt (a tiny pinch), and some of the grated chocolate. Leave the mixture to cool.
6. Transfer into a chilled bowl. For best results refrigerate the mixture for at least 2 to 3 hours.
7. Pour the double cream into a separate mixing bowl and whip until fluffy. Stir the whipped cream into the chilled custard mixture. Mix it very well and put it in the freezer.
8. After 30 minutes, open the door and check it. As it starts to freeze near the edges, remove it from the freezer and stir it vigorously with a spatula or whisk. Really beat it up and break up any frozen sections. Return to freezer.
9. Continue to check the mixture every 30 minutes, stirring vigorously as it is freezing. And every time you stir keep adding the grated chocolate bar. Check periodically and continue stirring while it freezes until the ice cream is frozen to avoid it from crystallizing. Leave over night, i prefer doing it when am about to go to bed so that i don't itch to keep checking it, but i run to the freezer immediately i wake up. lol.10. Your yummy creamy chocolate ice cream is ready to be enjoyed. i usually serve mine with waffles and banana, try out whatever you like with it, nuts and all, it is ice cream! everything goes i guess or maybe not everything on a second thought...lol
|Yummy Delicious Creamy Chocolate Ice Cream|
|Store in the freezer in a container with tight cover|